Keeley Bunker: Man accused of murder says he 'accidentally killed' friend as they had sex

July 28, 2020

A man accused of raping and murdering a female friend whom he was trusted to walk home has told a jury he "accidentally" killed her during sex and then hid her body in a "panic".

Wesley Streete told Staffordshire Crown Court on Tuesday that he and 20-year-old Keeley Bunker had been having sex in a park in Tamworth last year when he put his arms around her neck and "accidentally killed her".

He then described putting her body in a brook and covering it with branches, saying he later lied to police and his parents because he was "scared" and "embarrassed".

"I didn't know how to act and explain to other people how she died because I felt embarrassed in myself and very scared to explain to police - everyone. My mum and dad - everyone," he said, denying murder.

Ms Bunker, who was just 4ft 11in and weighed six and a half stone, was discovered by her uncle laying face-down in a brook near Wigginton Park shortly after she went missing last September.

Her friends had last seen her as she left a night out saying she wanted to sleep in her own bed, telling them: "I've got Wes, Wes lives near me, Wes will walk me back, it'll be fine."

According to Streete, also 20, Ms Bunker had "started flirting" with him on the walk home, before she started "teasing" him.

He added as he gave evidence for the first time on Tuesday: "But it wasn't like touchy type of flirt or anything, it was just looking at each other, in a flirtatious way."

The Ocado supermarket packer then said he and Ms Bunker had never been in a relationship, and had been "friends" who had known each other since junior school.

Referring to CCTV that was previously played to the jury showing the pair at the entrance of the park, Streete said it showed them "play fighting" and that Ms Bunker had seemed "happy" when they started kissing.

He insisted that she wasn't trying to get away from him, and said they had gone back to the park to have sex.

Streete, of no fixed address but previously of St Austell Close, Tamworth, told the jury he had "problems with reading and writing", and that he had left secondary school without qualifications.

He is said to have secured a football scholarship for Lichfield and Tamworth, but it later ended after he "stopped playing football".

To ensure he could understand the questions asked to him in court, the judge earlier explained to the jury that Streete had been given a professional intermediary to explain some parts in "simple terms".

The intermediary, who was sat an appropriate distance away to adhere to social distancing guidelines, was also in attendance to "assess the ability of the individuals to understand and follow" what is being asked.

According to prosecutors, Streete had changed his account of the incident at least four times between the time he was arrested and the trial.

He is also accused of two other counts of rape, three counts of sexual assault and a charge of sexual activity with a child, against three other victims.

All are said to have taken place in years previous.

Streete denies all charges against him.

Rate this item
(0 votes)




Mobile Apps

Smart Speaker

Latest Tweets

TIDEWATCH with @WaterSafeWith @seaside1053 RT
RT @East_Riding: We know this year has been frightful and you might have concerns about your children going out to Trick or Treat so why no…
Great TIP - @East_Riding
Follow Seaside FM 105.3 #HandsFaceSpace on Twitter