Liverpool: Mayor considers curfew as police disperse fans celebrating for second night

June 27, 2020

A police dispersal order was issued after Liverpool fans turned out for a second night to celebrate the club's first league title in 30 years.

While most Reds in the city and around the world have been celebrating the Premier League triumph at home, a minority descended outside Anfield on Thursday and in the city centre on Friday night.

One social media video showed hundreds of fans near the waterfront as a firework was directed onto a balcony of the Liver Building.

The Liverpool Echo reported that a small fire ensued in the landmark building.

It comes despite the continued risk of the coronavirus, which has killed more than 43,000 people in the UK - with authorities similarly concerned by large gatherings of sunbathers at beaches and at street parties in London which have led to clashes with police.

Merseyside Police eventually issued a dispersal order for the city centre.

Merseyside Police Assistant Chief Constable Jon Roy said: "We understand people want to celebrate Liverpool becoming Premier League champions for the first time in 30 years, and the time will come when fans can celebrate together with the team and applaud their achievement, but now is not that time.

"Please follow the advice of the players, the manager and the club by putting safety first."

:: Listen to the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

Mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson, an Everton fan, said he would consider a curfew to stop any more celebrations.

"Tomorrow we will look again at what we can do to make sure people are kept safe and this doesn't keep happening," he told the Echo.

"Maybe a curfew could be put in place as police powers have already been upped in the city to deal with anti-social behaviour."

He'd earlier written on Twitter: "I am really concerned about scenes at Pier Head tonight.

"I appreciate LFC fans want to celebrate but please, for your own safety, and that of others, go home and celebrate at home.

"COVID-19 is still a major risk and our city has already lost far too many people to the illness."

Liverpool's long wait for a 19th league title ended on Thursday when Chelsea beat second-placed Man City.

Within an hour of the match finishing, thousands of supporters, many wearing face masks, had descended on the club's stadium.

Flares were set off and some supporters climbed on roofs as they sang songs and hugged each other, with one man standing with his arm around a cardboard cutout of the team's manager, Jurgen Klopp.

Merseyside Police pleaded with fans to wait for official celebrations to mark Liverpool becoming champions of England for the first time since 1990.

Liverpool City Council said plans for celebrations were being made for the end of the season in July.

Rate this item
(0 votes)




Mobile Apps

Smart Speaker

Latest Tweets

GOOD MORNING MONDAY SEASIDE FM SUNRISE - by Andrea @saywhatpal #withernsea @seaside1053 RT
Seaside FM Breakfast is on @seaside1053 with @alexbcann and we’re commercial free until 9.30 thanks to @KCOMhome…
TIDEWATCH with @WaterSafeWith @seaside1053
Follow Seaside FM 105.3 #HandsFaceSpaceFreshAir on Twitter